Video is one of the most important tools that your renewable energy company can use to build the power of its brand.
But why is this and how can you create the kinds of highly engaging video content that helps your renewable energy company gain a strategic advantage of your industry peers? This article tell you how!
Over the years, Arrow Northwest has produced award-winning documentaries and promotional videos for a wide range of clients. It takes a trained and skillful eye to not only spot a powerful story or narrative that needs to be told, but the ability to effectively translate that story/narrative into video form.
Today, we are going to share some of our secrets so that your renewable energy company can use video as a powerful tool in your communications arsenal. But let's start first with a few statistics that clearly illustrate why using video should be a key part of your renewable energy company's communications strategy.
Video Marketing Statistics
The following are simple, compelling statistics (compliments of Forbes) that clearly illustrate the importance of video as a part of any digital marketing strategy, let alone one for your renewable energy company:
- Placing videos in websites or landing pages is shown to increase conversion rates by 80%.
- 90% of people report that informational videos lead them to make purchases.
- Marketing emails that contain video increase click-through rates by 200-300%.
- 59% of people would rather watch a video than read an article or blog post.
- James McQuivey, a renown digital marketing expert, claims that one minute of video content is roughly equal to 1.8 million words.
- 64% of customers are more likely to buy a product online after watching a video about it.
- According to YouTube, video consumption via mobile is growing at 100% annually.
The above statistics are a small representation of a phalanx of other statistics that clearly show the importance of compelling video as a part of your marketing activities. But don't take our word for it. Do a quick Google search and see for yourself!
The Power of Storytelling
What the above statistics show is that many of your target consumers will not ignore your offers or promotional IF there is a compelling nature to your messaging. This is where video is so much more effective than the written word.
Where this becomes even more effective is if you can find a viable and engaging storyline to complement the overarching narrative of a powerful brand identity. and one that is in sync with your customer personas. Remember, the development of a compelling brand identity is the very first step of the overall communications strategy that we prescribe for renewable energy businesses.
Through the lens of your brand identity, and in keeping with the needs of your customer personas, you want to tell an impactful story through your videos. This requires an overall storytelling plan. This is where you can use your own creative capacities to formulate your plan.
Once you have a plan in place, what is it, exactly that you want your video stories to tell? This brings us to the next topic: Tips for effective storytelling.
Tips Video Storytelling
- Remember, people typically hate being sold to. Leave that particular circus act to the less creative. On the other hand, people typically love messaging that feels interactive, authentic, is multifaceted and on the vibration of the positive.
- Keep in mind that most people are the hero in their own worlds. Most of us want to have our greatest qualities reflected back to us through the external. What this means is that if your brand narrative, and by extension video storytelling, can reflect people's deep-seeded desire to see the best of themselves through others, or your brand narrative, you'll have a captive audience. You'll feel familiar. You'll naturally be more trusted. Your audience will come to you instead of to others.
- Be different and unique. Create original video stories that represent your brand but also take into consideration the needs and preferences of your clients;
- Companies should consider two types of informational videos: a longer one which must reflect the brand’s identity and several short ones that have the role of supporting and fortifying brand identity. This combination leads to better consumer engagement as well as a sustainable relationship with your employees;
- Compelling stories should reveal the main features and value of your brand. Make sure to take advantage of powerful imagery, symbols, key words and metaphor;
- Tell your audience why you do what you do. This should reflect a compelling mission, or even better a messianic sense of purpose;
- Make stories as personal and as customized as you can;
- Combine several effective media forms;
- Showcase them on the proper platforms;
- Build visual stories that are a mix of the following characteristics: emotional, educational, engaging, and empathetic;
- Each video should contain an well-placed call to action;
- Don’t be afraid to use interactive elements such as quizzes, links, and surveys, all of which can truly boost the effectiveness of the video.
Brand Video Storytelling – Formats
Based on your company’s goals, you could try the following options in your content strategy:
- Promo videos – case studies, testimonials, viral videos, interviews, product reviews, etc.;
- Traditional ads – TV commercials and online ads;
- Social videos – engaging online content that targets your followers. It can be informative or simply entertaining;
- Culture marketing videos – with these types of videos, you can showcase certain causes that you believe in, as well as showcase your team members, and your brand;
- Explainer videos – overviews, product tutorials, introductions, processes, etc.
As humans, we will always be attracted by stories. We are drawn to narratives which can change our mood for the better. Barrie Seppings, from Ogilvy, the world-renown advertising agency, recently said that we need stories, now more than ever, because we live in the big data era. Companies’ messages need to be human, true and multifaceted. In our day-to-day interactions with others we would expect nothing less. It should be no different with the video storytelling of your renewable energy company.
About Arrow Northwest
You will love how your communications feel. You will be thrilled with the results. Begin the journey today!